Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Philosophical Viewpoint Overview

Philosophically:

Ontological: Subjective Idealist, Monistic Idealist

Epistemological: Relativist, Pragmatist (certain modes of knowledge gathering are useful for certain goals and situations), Situationalist

Normative: Stirnerian Egoist, Rational Egoist, Selfist, Philosophical Taoist

I believe that science is one of, if not the most effective way(s) of verifying and interacting with a consistent reality quantitatively. However, it is impossible to know with absolute certainty that the mind is perceiving the truth about an object. Subject of the mind are entirely dependent upon the mind which is perceiving them. Nonlocality as demonstrated by Bell's Theorem, for example, has been proven in numerous empirical experiments. What makes something an "object" separate from another requires the use of a bias and pre-structured mind to distinguish it from any so-called "external" environment. One can use inductive reasoning to make an assumption based upon probability. One can use deduction, but that deduction requires dependency on previous induction. It requires assumption of the truth and verifiability of the inductive results, a premise to make a deduction, and the assumption of the verifiability and truth of the deductive results. It demands probability of an outcome. Once again, we are back to a subjective, quantum reality.

I hold that the universe as "reality" is dynamic, changing, and non-static. The mind is the only thing which can be verified axiomatically, and I am that mind. There can be no external reality outside of my mind while perceived by my mind, but that directly calls into question both the nature of my mind and the nature of the "world". Reality does not equate to truth, which is not feedable to the ego, nor is it perceptive to it. I am a subjective idealist with my ego, since I am a separate consciousness and have my own wants, needs, and desires. I am on the border as an objective, monistic idealist when it comes to self, as I have witnessed a sense of oneness and transcendence, but from my own "self" point of view.

Ethically, I possess empathy and a concern for other people. I cannot know with certainty others exist as truth entities separate from myself (materialism yet again), and I only know of others by sensing them. They are real entities, and I feel completely bound to them as they are part of me. To call this "solipsism" is absurd, since this denies materialism and demonstrates others are a part of me.

I am a free-market anarchist for pragmatic reasons as well. I see absolutely no productive reason for having others control my life. I cannot pursue my own wants, needs, and desires in a fully fruitful manner without having a free and open society. The need for freedom, security, stability, and happiness in a material manner rest on social progress.


No comments: